In 1844 Friedrich Mauthe and his wife Marie (Kienzle) founded a company in Schwenningen, Germany to produce watch parts. By the end of the 1860s Mauthe began to produce their own wall clocks and movements. Some were produced through the network of cottage clock industries or so called "Gewerblern", others were produced in a mass production industrialized way. The Mauthe sons Christian (1845-1909) and James (1847-1915) took over in 1876. In 1886 Mauthe Clock began manufacturing its own spring.
In 1899 a case factory was added, by 1900, 1000 employees were on the payroll. In 1915 Mauthe added their own sawmill and milling shop. In 1923 the year of inflation made competition for Mauthe tough. In 1930 2000 workers produced 45,000 clocks and watches a week. By 1923, 60% German clocks exported to London were Mauthe.
Around 1900, alarm clocks, pendulum wall clocks, grandfather clocks, office clocks and "Buffet clocks" were offered. The number of employees at that time went up to about 1,100 people. In 1904 the 3rd generation took over (Eugene Schreiber (1877-1939) - son of Christian Mauthe, Dr. Fritz Mauthe (1875-1951) - son of Jacob and Mauthe Alfred (1879-1911) - son of Jacob Mauthe. In 1925 Mauthe announced a new trademark. It shows a right-looking eagle with outstretched wings, holding in its talons a three-part round plate with the letters F, M and S.
In 1970, Mauthe struggled for survival, and in 1975 the company was in receivership and forced to close in 1976.
c. 1925 trademark
c. 1900 trademark
Typical Mauthe c. 1928 floor clock